Sunday, September 15, 2019

Session #17 - Narrow Gauge September 14 - Cooler Days




We are in the middle of September.


The youngsters are back at school.


The days are getting cooler.


But we still see many rays of sunshine.


And...steam continues to rule supreme...


...in our little world of railroad operations.


Doug tests out his K27.


Henk and Moe set out a few cars in Nelson Yard.


Malcolm snags a shot of me while Steve and Bill are occupied with lists.



The pic Malcolm snapped of me caught me eating one of Steve's wife's tasty brownies!


And this shot as well.


Pat is all smiles as Henk and Lawrence study something in the lounge.


Bernie and Brian anticipate a great day of train ops.


As does George and Doug.


Steve and Seanna hope their locomotive does not encounter any unwanted track occupants.


It's all smiles.


As we await our pre-ops meeting.


Skipper Steve's jacket indicates that it is a tad cool on this morning.


Love the latest hat, Bill!


Here's Malcolm's version of the hat!


Malcolm snagged these next three shots of me as well.
Here I am re-railing a freight car that derailed after I Iifted it with the 0-5-0 move...my bad!


I'm backing up to complete my switch moves in Glen Hammond.


Almost done!


As you just noticed, due to a potential threat of ill weather, we all began making up our trains before the bell..using our locomotives this week.


I am aboard Train 327 out from Glen Hammond on this day.


My crewmate, Pete, is unable to attend the session so "I'm Just a Lonely Boy!"


At Bellamy I have a set-out on the team track.


I've isolated the reefer and will spot it to its location shortly.


I turn around to find Doug's K27 making progress downgrade at "The Ledges" hauling Passenger 2 out from Firgrove.


Passenger 2 is pursued by 302 crewed by Paul and Paul.


George handles the chores in Ralph Yard up in Firgrove.


All trains are underway as we spot Pat having already run around his train, 301, at Mount St. Helens in order to work the facing sidings in town.


Passenger 2 dives below 301 at this location.


Operators take great care not to interfere with the progress of trains as they work in close proximity to the mainline.


Malcolm and Steve run 318 eastbound at Spruce.  Note the use of multiple locomotives, one on the front end and one trailing up the rear.


Their front locomotive will handle trailing moves with ease while the rear engine will take on the facing moves.


I have 327 at the end of the Cedar Rock branch out of Peter's Pond.


My engine is sandwiched between my lifts and the red boxcar which had been located at the fishery.


Rather than removing the car from the fishery, I determined I had sufficient space to bring it up with me into Cedar Rock.


Upon my return back down to Peter's Pond, note how I've dropped the red boxcar at the fishery to the left of the image.


Time to run around my train...


...and gain clearance to Wellington Lake.


318 has completed its work at Spruce and is underway around the big curve heading toward Ironwood.


With 301 working the industries here, 318 comes in on the station track.


Note 302 holding the siding at Watkins behind Steve to the left.


That's because...


...my train, 327, had been cleared earlier up to Wellington Lake.


I won't work Wellington Lake as yet.  Rather, I will enter Watkins along the main and clear the siding switch for 302.


Four trains are captured in this single image.  From left to right, 327, 302, 318 and 301.


My tail end has cleared the turnout and 302 proceeds through the switch eastbound.


With many a train run in a session, the dispatcher sets up numerous meets to ensure all traffic continues to flow smoothly.  Great job, Bill!


The two crews in Ironwood work together in and around each other.


While off in the distance to the left we spot the two tail end cars at Watkins.


My lovely wife, Lisa, has gone down to Barrhaven to pick up Bill for a visit to Fred's.  Thanks for doing that Lisa!


I set out the empty woodchip car at Wellington.


While the two crews continue their work beside me.


 Out of Wellington Lake, I am cleared up to Bell.


Arriving Bell, I take Track 3.


While Passenger 2 arrives Spruce.


Moe admires Doug's locomotive.


This little brute handles the chores in Nelson Yard on this day.  What a cool looking diesel, Henk!


I must spot the white reefer at Henk's Siding and the beige reefer at the interchange tracks so I have to run around my train.


I pull the set of cars back along the yard lead and take the crossovers...


...which align me into the siding.


I momentarily set the beige reefer on the main as I tuck the intended reefer into Henk's Stores.  Then I will take the other reefer to the far end of the yard to deliver it to the interchange tracks.


Speaking of Henk...here he is!


With my work done, I am cleared out from Bell into Firgrove.


I thank my dispatcher most heartily as he has ensured my work in Bell was not interrupted by a tangle of other trains...as it was the last couple of weeks!  Hehehe!


Steve and Seanna have brought RP&M Train 65 down into Rat Portage.


That's quite the diminutive locomotive they are running!


I've terminated 327 in Firgrove so now I must turn my locomotive and pick up my next train, 304.


I tiptoe onto the "armstrong."


Then I go for a dizzying spin!


Lots of fun.


Steve and Seanna continue with their work in Rat.


I steer 304 out of Firgrove.


I meet Brian aboard RP&M Rat 70 on his approach to Bellamy out from Glen Hammond.


Yes, railroading is fun!


304 slips down the iron between Firgrove and Bell.


Rounding the big bend in the corner.


Arriving the west ladder at Stuart Yard.


I've been guided in on Track 3 once again seeing as I have no work at the interchange.


Ah, heavenly...Bell is clear!


In the distance I spot 301 working Spruce.


Pool Train 15 passes below two interesting items...the eastern throat of Nelson Yard and...my shadow!


I bring 304 through "The Corners."


This is a very scenic location along the line.


About to enter the subterranean darkness below Mount St. Helens.


While above me, 303's crew enters Mount St. Helens in a westerly direction.


Steve forms a tunnel exit for my train!


304 enters Peter's Pond.


Moe and Paul hold the main just to the east of Nelson Yard.


Their train, 301, awaits clearance into the yard.


Two visitors enjoy the action.  Nice meeting you both, Ron and Kevin.


Henk's little brute of an engine...


...continues to control the yard.


With 301 safely cleared into Nelson Yard, Paul is able to bring his train out.


312 rounds the curve at Lilly.


A nice "going away" shot.


Things appear busy here at the moment.


It does not worry Henk...as he has things under complete control.


I have been cleared from Peter's Pond to Mercer Siding.


In short order I have gained permission to enter the yard and I radio dispatch to indicate I am through the junction.


Visitors are amazed by the action on this great railroad.


Henk has aligned the turnouts for my entry into the yard.


304 will terminate momentarily.


Pat and another visitor (Murray, I believe) follow the flow of the action.
Murray is from England and has followed us through the blog!


Looking good, Henk!


Upon my arrival, Moe is cleared out of Nelson Yard aboard 311.


Love the caboose!


Love this little lovely on the RP&M resting on Track 4 in Bell.


Dispatcher Bill in the dispatch hut.


312 has found Spruce.


Train 15 is out from Peter's Pond...


...on a trajectory toward Wellington Lake.


"Paul Squared" work the trailing sidings in Spruce.


Love this little gem!


Steve and Malcolm have found Ironwood for a second time today, this time aboard 303.


Hi Paul!


Hi Paul...again!


Train 15 leans into the curve in "The Corners."


I'll have a drink!


I found this little puppy resting along the far track of the Northland Ore Dock.


Douglas Yard in Craig Leigh.


Another look at this fine specimen.


Moe and Pat enjoy the shade found in Peter's Pond.


They have brought Train 311 into town.


Fred, George and Bernie hold court!


Skipper Bill keeps the whole system moving smoothly!


Henk does the same in Nelson Yard.


Bill has enjoyed a bit of fresh air.  We continue to keep his granddaughter in our thoughts and prayers.


Again, thank you, Lisa, for bringing Bill out.  It meant the world to him.
Also, thanks to our great friend, Fred, for hosting us for yet another Saturday of great train operations.  Check in later in the week for the second section of this posting.

All the best, Mike Hamer, Ottawa, Ontario, Canada

No comments:

Post a Comment