Wednesday, January 31, 2024

Workday Wednesday - January 31st

Workday Wednesday - January 31st

I received this update from Doug from the work accomplished by the WDWD crew earlier today.

All images and text comes from Doug on this day.

In Doug's words - I picked up Fred and we headed over to Gatineau joining Bill Scobie in the RGS shops to continue our work on the new Glen Hammond station.  


Here's Fred settled in to properly supervise the day's task which is to prime paint the station walls.

Remember, you can enlarge images by clicking on them and you can return to the default page by clicking outside them.

Bill had been doing some aircraft modelling so I looked over the planes on his workbench...


...while Bill shook the rattle can of flat white paint being used for primer.

Bill, in the past, used to paint locomotives commercially so he has a proper spray booth ventilated to outside.


 The wooden walls of the station had been finished with battens last week making them ready for painting.  Bill sprayed each piece with primer white

 

Bill passed the walls with an initial prime coat over to me...

...and I used a heat gun to promote rapid drying.

With the first coat dry, Bill applied a second coat of primer and again the walls were dried rapidly with the heat gun.  Here is the finished product

That completed the work for this Wednesday.  With the walls primed, Bill indicated he would apply the finish colour (depot buff) to all the walls tomorrow and also spray the trim windows and doors olive green. 

Next Wednesday, the plan is to begin the assembly of the station by joining walls and affixing them to the base.  

Thanks for the update Doug!  You, Bill and Fred are real troopers for the group.

And...while Doug was busy working with Bill and Fred for the group, I was busy building this model of a log wagon in O-scale for Doug!


This model will play a role in a huge sawmill diorama Doug and I will be working on over the next little (or long) while!  😀


Even though I began the job earlier this week, this model can be assembled quite easily in a single day at the workbench allowing time for paints to dry.  The many body is resin.


I painted and weathered the main body with "cocoa brown" acrylic paint.  Once dry I offered up a wash of black acrylic with plenty of water.  The various inner and outer brackets are installed after they were cleaned and weathered.


I painted the wheel spokes a maroon colour and polished the treads with light sandpaper.  The wheels were fitted to their bolsters after I drilled out some openings for a short metal rod.  The bolsters are lying beneath the two crossbeams.


There is an option to have the front bolster turn so I took advantage of this.  I drilled and superglued a short rod beneath the front crossbeam and created a hole in the center of the front bolster to accommodate the rod.  I'm liking the look of things thus far!


Being able to steer the wagon in any direction will provide Doug and I with options when we go to create the massive sawmill diorama.


Crossbeam timbers have been added to the existing crossbeam members and the log guides are now in place.  The tongue has been glued to the front bolster and bracket supports have been attached.  A horseshoe shaped clevis has been added to the end of the tongue.


I had no O-scale logs in my inventory.  Problems are opportunities for solutions and three older pencils staring me in the face on my workbench offered up a "Eureka" moment!


A test fit with the sawed lengths.


I scraped the side of the pencil with my old broken saw...good enough for now in my books!


The logs are painted and weathered...but I think they will need further sawing and weathering...a later project.


The finished model sans logs...


...and with a full load!

Thanks for checking in on all this fun modelling taking place on both sides of the Ottawa River on this day!

And...if you have some project you wish to share with the group, send me some pics and captions and they will appear on the blog!

All the best, Fred, Doug, Bill & Mike & the entire OVGRS clan!
Ottawa, Ontario, Canada

2 comments:

  1. Mike; just an observation...I have seen wagons and log carriers like yours, with metal (Iron/steel) rims, but seldom do I remember seeing rims so shiny....usually they appeared to be rather rusty, and not shiny at all...


    Nice work young fellow...
    Fred

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Fred! Great observation! As always, I post an image of the finished model. Then I ask Doug if he wishes the model to be weathered. Any weathering will be conducted before the model reaches the diorama...which is yet to be constructed!
    All the best,
    Mike

    ReplyDelete