Workday Wednesday August 26th
While I was climbing above the clouds in one mode of transport Wednesday morning, the WDWD crew were conducting track work on another mode of transport.
The lads arrived and 'got down to business' in replacing the shorter track turnouts in Spruce with longer ones.
This effectively eliminated a terrible S-curve leading into the yard there.
Here are Bernie's words my way.
Hi Mike. A couple of photos of the work we did Wednesday. There was a good turnout: Henk, Bill, Chris, Pat, Pat and Bernie.
Short story is; we replaced the switches at Spruce. Long story; Pat Brewer asked me the previous day if I planned to tackle Spruce. I said no, but on Wednesday Chris asked if we were going to replace the switches. He said if we had no time restrictions, lets get at it. He grabbed a nail puller and said: "Let's start pulling nails". So, we completed the job with some measuring, cutting and adjusting. Chris and I did the two long switches and Billy came over and lent hand. He did the rail cutting for us.
While this was going on, Henk and Pat Brewer were busy doing yard work. Pat Brennan had been hired by Fred to test steamer PRR&W 15. When we were happy with our work at Spruce, we asked Pat to run the steamer through the switches. For the most part, it navigated okay. We then got some cars and pushed them through. There was wobbling, so we had some filing and minor adjustments to make. At the end of the day, we were all quite happy with the outcome, including father Fred who did the final thumbs up.
I have attached a few photos, but it is rather difficult to notice the difference where the two long switches are. One thing to notice is that CHANDLER FUELS now comes off the SWITCHING LEAD. We looked at running it off the mainline siding, but there is quite a height difference.
Chris is starting to pull the nails.
Pat Brennan.
Taking photos and test driving a locomotive.
Chris eyeballing the alignment.
The gang's all here.
Fred's doing his QA check.
"All good!" he said.
A close up of the yard showing Charlie's Fuels coming off the switching lead.
Next job is over at Craig Leigh.
We see the sun rising in the east as I walk to my gate.
We flew out on Runway 2-5 in a westerly direction and then banked to the south.
Just one hour earlier the tide had been up.
That is Cape Blomidon in the background behind my left shoulder.
Thanks to Bernie for the photos of the WDWD crew in action at Spruce.
In my next posting I will send photos Pat Brennan sent my way from his visit to Barry's and Bonnie's up in Belleville.
Then I will create a post from this past Saturday's session at Fred's place!
We are the WDWD crew of the OVGRS up here in Ottawa, Ontario where our beloved Canadian province will always be called Ontario!


No comments:
Post a Comment