Monday, November 20, 2023

Gaston Moreau - A Great Man

Gaston Moreau - A Great Man

Pat Brennan attended the visitation and funeral service for our dear friend, Gaston Moreau.

Below are a few images Pat sent my way to share with the group as a blog entry.

Thanks Pat for taking the time to drive up the Ottawa Valley to pay your respects to this great man!


Pat took this image of the wonderful display covering the many interests and hobbies Gaston enjoyed in his lifetime.


Here we see a lovely diorama Gaston had constructed using the coniferous trees he used to build from scratch.

Pat indicated that he believes the wooden guitar acted as Gaston's urn.  That would be oh so fitting as Gaston was a great guitarist, singer and performer.  Chris Lyon and I have experienced the pleasure of making wonderful music with Gaston in the past.

Thanks for sharing these images and captions with us, Pat!


A few years back I was a clinician alongside Chris showcasing our models while Gaston set up his tree-making table just down the aisle from us.  Here is his diorama once more.  


This image showcases his booth area for tree making with many trees carefully placed in bags for sale.  Indeed, many a local model railroad has some of Gaston's trees adorning their forests...mine included!


A gentleman watches as Gaston goes about the business of creating another coniferous tree!


A master craftsman he was!


We will miss you deeply, Gaston!


Pat just sent me these next two images showcasing Gaston's layout at the Arnprior Train show.  Gaston sold the layout to our good friend, George.  In the above image we see Len chatting with Bob.


Pat also found this write-up I made for one of the four dioramas I created with Doug.  Gaston's trees appeared on the General Store section.


Here are some older images I found of Gaston's layout. 


I'm not sure if the railroad had been handed over to George at the point in time when I snapped these shots.


I believe this was Gaston's CP large scale locomotive. 


The layout was highly detailed. 


Some of our OVGRS friends operated their locomotives on the layout.


Quite the nice setup! 


Looking good! 


Lovely. 


The trees to the right were made by Gaston.


I planted them on a slight ridge on the General Store module Doug and I designed and created.


Gaston's trees certainly added a nice vertical element to the scene.


An overall look.


The four dioramas in O-Scale as seen on display at OVAR at the May 2022 meet where I presented as guest speaker.

Gaston, you will be deeply missed!
Keep playing those tunes and serenading the angels in heaven, my man!
All the best, Gaston's railroad friends in the Ottawa Region

1 comment: