Sunday, August 6, 2017

12th Session of the Season - A Passenger Primer

 
Our twelfth session of the season finds us running narrow gauge.
 

 
Yes, steam locomotives are the topic of the day.
 
 
In particular this steamer.
 
 
Which pulled all of the passenger equipment across the line this week.
 
 
Can you guess who was running the passenger trains?
 
 

Yup, little ole me!
 
I would like to take the time to thank Bernie and Malcolm for their contribution of images for this posting to go along with the many I took.
To view Malcolm's video footage from this session, click on the link below.

https://onedrive.live.com/?authkey=%21AFTDBtGSjVXczYI&v=photos&id=4275D0234272929B%2112449&cid=4275D0234272929B
 
 
I must tell you that a large percentage of this post will focus on the passenger trains I ran and the many encounters I enjoyed with other crews along the way.  Not to worry though as these folks will be profiled as well throughout.
 
 
Folks gather around the table.
 
 
Before they will run their trains.
 
 
As we do each Saturday morning.
 
 
From spring to fall.
 
 
Along the IPP&W and RP&M railroads.
 
 
Before we get to the proceedings, lets check in on the new spur put in this past Wednesday by the work crew. It is located at the St. Lawrence Dairy and Watkins buildings.  Thanks to Lawrence, Garry, Mike and Fred for this.
 
 
Let's also investigate the latest meteorite impact in North America.  The concussion was so severe, it created a hole in the ground large enough to contain two foundations for two new houses!
 
 
As mentioned, steamers are the locomotives of choice for this session.
 

Working the yards and hauling passengers.
 
 
Freight too, and Bernie captured some great shots of steamers doing their thing!
 
 
Malcolm did as well.
 
 
Finding steamers on the mainline.
 
 
Working the towns.
 
 
Back to my 4-6-0.  It will perform its first duty of the day aboard Passenger #2.
 
 
Hatched from its carrying case, it first must be turned on the table at Firgrove.
 
 
With clearance granted, I'm on the roll.
 
 
Downgrade.
 
 
Into Bell.
 
 
With a pick up at the East House Track.
 
 
I pass the dispatch hut where I spot "Doug the Dispatcher!"
 
 
With assistant, Colin, who will take over the dispatching duties in the upcoming weeks to allow
Doug and me to run trains on the high iron with greater frequency!
 
 
"Eastward Ho" through Watkins Siding.
 
 
Beneath Mount St. Helens.
 
 
Where another crew is working the upper deck.
 
 
It's Chris and Steve, the two "Blue Boys" aboard 301.
 
 
Then into Spruce.
 
 
Where I meet Train 327.
 
 
With Seanna controlling 327's movements.
 
 
Earlier, she and "hubby" Steve had set out from Glenn Hammond.
 
 
Before they reached Peter's Pond...and...me!
 
 
I'm now right hand running through Mercer Siding.
 
 
Cleared through the diamond.
 
 
Into Bellamy.
 
 
Through Bellamy.
 
 
Then into Glenn Hammond where I pass the yard workers at Nelson Yard.
 
 
With a gander over at the big yard.
 

Containing many a freight car.
 
 
And many a colourful character!
From left to right, the involved actors you see are Seanna, Steve, Paul, Brian, Henk, Bob and me.
 
 
I find Malcolm railfanning my train while Henk and Paul look on.
 
 
Under the umbrellas.
 
 
Around the outskirts of Nelson Yard.
 
 
I approach the trestle where I notice the ore train working the spurs to the east of Nelson Yard.
 
 
Two spans supporting two trains.
 
 
Bob is the man in charge of the ore train we just saw at Nelson.
Earlier he had been in Ironwood.
 
 
With his double-headed team.
 
 
I find myself in Spruce.
 
 
For a station stop.
 
 
Or two station stops!  Here I meet the crew aboard 318.
 
 
They have protected their train in the siding for the meet.
 
 
Here's Lawrence and George, the very capable crew on 318.
 
 
After I depart, they continue with a facing move at Spruce.
 

Before they head on into Ironwood.
 
 
I take the big curve out of Spruce bound for Ironwood where I meet Chris and Steve once more...albeit an official meet in the same town.
 
 
They have safely protected their train on the siding.
 
 
I depart Ironwood.
 
 
To leave Steve and Chris alone again.  In the background Colin checks out the action at the pedestrian crossing between Spruce and Blockhouse.
 
 
Yup, railroading can be extremely exciting, although it is like fishing at times...you must wait and wait...and wait!
 
 

 Out of Ironwood I climb the grade.
 
 
Into Mount St. Helens.
 
 
With my final destination Craig Leigh where Bernie is the yardmaster.
 
 
I wye my train.
 
 
Alongside the engine house.
 
 
Where I spot Gilbert taking some measurements on Gord's delightful puppies.
 
 
Backing the train through the other leg of the wye.
Note the blue plaque on the side of the fascia down near the end of my train.  Bernie has installed some choke cable throws to the turnouts on the other side of the wye which saves operators from having to run around the entire peninsula simply to throw the far turnout.
 
 
Around Douglas Yard.
 
 
Into the station area at Craig Leigh.
 
 
Tucked into bed.
 
 
Pat, Bill and Bernie railfan my moves.
 
 
Dealing with the headend.
 
 
With an assist from Bill.
 
 
Thanks for getting that turnout, Bill!
 

A happy camper!
 
 
Me too!
 
 
When you're with great fellas like Bill and Pat!
 
 
And around great looking trains.
 
 
Like these fine examples.
 
 
With my train backed into the station, I am at the easternmost point on the entire railroad.
 
 
Railfanning Craig Leigh.
 
 
While Pat looks on.
 
 
Beautiful scenes.
 
 
Bernie's yard.
 
 
Bill watches as I ready my second run of the morning, Train #15, the Pool Train.
 
 
This time I'll be running westbound across both railroads.
 
 
I snag a shot of Bernie snagging a shot of me!
 
 
I arrive Mount St. Helens on the station track where I meet another crew working their trailing sidings.
 
 
It's fun being the passenger train as you are superior to all other crews!  Hehehe!
 
 
That other crew in Mount St. Helens is George and Lawrence.
 
 
They are running Train 318 from Glenn Hammond to Craig Leigh.
 
 
At Mount St. Helens I take a gander "across the aisle" to find Paul and Lela working the branch up to Cedar Rock aboard 302.
 
 
Out of the "Mount" it's downgrade toward Ironwood.
 
 
Where I pass the big structure at Ironwood Brick.
 
 
And prepare for my station stop.
 
 
Then on my approach to the lovely station in Spruce.
 
 
For a station stop.
 
 
Another stop at Blockhouse.
 
 
And...around the big curve at Lilly.
(I know, it's really spelled Lily, but my puppy dog is named Lilly...so...that's how I reference the location!)
 
 
Turning around from my train at that curve at Lilly, I take a glance down RP&M rails to Rat Portage where a crew is busily going about their business.  It's Malcolm and Garry in the distance while Brian looks on.
 
 
They are aboard the Nelson Yard to Bell Turn, trains 65 and 66.
 
 
They have taken Track 4 at Bell.
 
 
To provide themselves access into the interchange area.
 
 
With work complete, it's back downgrade along RP&M trackage.
 
 
In this image, we see two RP&M crews.  To the left, Paul and Brian work the Bell Turn, trains 67 and 68 while to the right we find Malcolm and Garry in Glenn Hammond aboard the Nelson Yard to Glenn Hammond train known as Rat 71.
 
 
They actually backed their train out of Nelson Yard in order to gain access to Glenn Hammond.
 
 
More RP&M shots.  This time I catch Malcolm railfanning his own train at Belson.
 
 
While Garry brings it into the big yard at Nelson.
 
 
Brian and Paul aboard Rat 70 at Rat Portage.
 
 
They have been given their green and they proceed to the diamond.
 
 
Safely through the diamond, they may have some work at Gouda.
 
 
A peek into Nelson Yard reveals locomotives.
 
 
And an ever-changing appearance to the yard.
 
 
Garry and Malcolm at the western throat of the yard.
 
 
Henk, the affable yardmaster.
 
 
With his pride and gem, his beloved centercab.
 
 
Discussing options with the crew.
 
 
The mainline into Belson often acts as a yard lead.
 
 
Henk is all smiles as he counts his entire life's earning which amounts to a few coloured pennies!  Hehehe!
 
 
We love ya, Henk!
 
 
Let's get back to the Pool Train.
 
 
On its approach to Glenn Hammond.
 
 
On the outskirts of Nelson Yard.
 
 
No work in the Glenn for Train 15.
 
 
Malcolm railfans my train as I make my station stop at Bellamy.
 
 
I'm cleared through the diamond.
 
 
Right hand running at Mercer.
 
 
Then into Peter's Pond.
 
 
Where I meet Train 311, the Nelson Yard to Firgrove leg of Chris and Steve's morning.
 
 
And such handsome lads the "Blue Boys" are.
 

Or...perhaps I should call them "Bluebirds" after the B&M nickname for these handsome GP9's that make a regular appearance on my HO layout.

 
Chris and Steve have aged nicely...just like this tandem...
 
 
...don't ya think!  Chris is in agreement...not too sure about Steve, though!  Hehehe!
 
 
After I left Chris and Steve, they went on to do further great things such as navigate through the myriad of trains throughout the AM hours.
 
 
And complete the third leg of their journey aboard 328.
 
 
In "The Corners".
 
 
They once again arrived Peter's Pond where they found work in Cedar Rock.
 
 
No lifts from Cedar Rock Supply though.
 
 
So, it's downgrade along the branch.
 
 
They meet me much later when I'm aboard Passenger 1 at Glenn Hammond.
Their run is complete, so they head to the crew lounge.
 
 
I depart Peter's Pond.
 
 
Head beneath Mount St. Helens.
 
 
Where George and Lawrence are busy at work.
 
 
At "The Corners".
 
 
Through Watkins Siding.
 
 
Into Bell.
 
 
Where I have some work to conduct at the West House Track.
 
 
And...where I meet an RP&M crew.
 
 
Drilling the West House Track.
 
 
At this point I head into RP&M territory.
 
 
Both trains are downgrade...me into Pratt's Bottom and Bob with the ore train into Bell.
 
 
While I head below Firgrove I am able to catch the activity above.
 
 
Moe has this gem at the ready.
 
 
He is the yardmaster in Firgrove.
 
 
He's downgrade to Bell with a short train.
 
 
He's arrived Bell to the left.
 
 
While I'm below Firgrove, I once again check out the new track that Lawrence, Garry, Fred and I put in on Wednesday.
 
 
The track offers greater switching potential for the Firgrove yardmaster.
 
 
Cars in Ralph Yard at Firgrove.
 
 
On route to "Rat".
 
 
In the underworld.
 
 
Ah, yes...daylight!  That's better!
 
 
Smell the refreshing air as we enter into front yard territory.
 
 
Then back into the back!
 
 
Out of Rat.
 
 
Where we are momentarily halted by a minor service interruption with the ore train.
 
 
 Problem solved and ready to go.  The ore train will enter Nelson Yard and the passenger train will arrive Glenn Hammond.
 
 
On the approach to the Glenn.
 
 
Bill, the bystander!
 
 
With no work in the Glenn it's around Nelson.
 
 
Through the girders.
 
 
Around Lilly.
 
 
Over the bridge between Lilly and Blockhouse.
 
 
Treacle Mine forms a formidable wall above Blockhouse.
 
 
Past the dispatch booth.  Hi Doug...Hi Colin!
 
 
Upgrade to Spruce.
 
 
A meet with 303.
 
 
By the big switchstand.
 
 
Past Ironwood.
 
 
Up to Mount St. Helens.
 
 
And...into Craig Leigh environs.  Rather than wye my train this run, Bernie has time to do it for me.
 
 
So, I simply wye my locomotive.
 
 
To have it heading in the proper direction.
 
 

 For my final run of the day.
 
 
Aboard Passenger 1.
 
 
A brief hiatus from the passenger trains brings us back to Steve and Seanna spotted in Peter's Pond aboard Train 327.
 
 
Much later aboard 304 on the fringe of Bell.
 
 
As 304, they must work the Cedar Rock Branch.
 
 
Upon arrival in Nelson Yard they become Train 314 destined for Craig Leigh.
 
 
Switching Blockhouse.
 
 
Seanna references her switchlist for Spruce.
 
 
Bob is later spotted in Ironwood.
 
 
In Firgrove.
 
 
At "The Ledges".
 
 
At Treacle Mine.
 
 
Outside of Nelson Yard.
 
 
Around Lilly.
 
 
And...back in Ironwood.
 
 
Lela and Paul are found eastbound out of Bell.
 
 
Then into the "Pond".
 
 
In this previously seen photo at Cedar Rock.
 
 
Meeting the Passenger train at Bellamy crossing.
 
 
Into Belson.
 
 
Much later in Ironwood.
 
 
Teamwork.
 
 
George works the sidings in Spruce while my passenger train passes below him.
 
 
Lawrence points out the car they must lift.
 
 
I approach on a slow order while 318 works the town.
 
 
Much later, Lawrence and George are held in Watkins Siding aboard Train 313.
 
 
So they both seek shelter from the sun and chat up Mr. Bill.
 
 
Here they are aboard Train 303.
 
 
While Steve works downgrade out of Bell aboard Train 328, his final leg of the morning.
 
 
Pat and Bernie bring the short hop down from Craig Leigh to Mount St. Helens at a quieter time in the session.
 
 
Then it's back to Douglas Yard.
 
 
Where Bernie watches the passenger proceedings.
 
 
Douglas Yard seems to be a tankcar depot on this day.  Indeed, some of us may be Gramps in our own families!
 
 
Now, for my final run of the day.
 
 
Passenger 1.
 
 
Westbound on the outskirts of Douglas Yard.
 
 
Green means go!
 
 
Meeting 312 in Mount St. Helens.
 
 
In the countryside.
 
 
With Juan Batista at the helm.
 
 
Meeting the ore train in Ironwood.
 
 
Past the east depot at Spruce.
 
 
Holding the station track for 314.
 
 
Steve and Seanna bring 314 into Spruce.
 
 
Past the west depot at Spruce.
 
 
Downhill to Blockhouse.
 
 
Bridge approach.
 
 
About to depart Glenn Hammond after picking up a car at the House Track.
 
 
At Bellamy.
 
 
Through the diamond.
 
 
Peter's Pond.
 
 
Bell.
 
 
Work to do at the West House Track.
 
 
Ready to depart.
 
 
In the shadow of Brunt's Brewery.
 
 
 
Rounding the curve out of Bell.
 
 
Upgrade at "The ledges".
 
 
Into Firgrove.
 
 
A day's word done.
 
 
Thanks Doug and Colin for dispatching.
 
 
Jovial Henk, as always.
 
 
Malcolm railfanning.
 
 
Pat enjoying the work in Craig Leigh.
 
 
The Nelson crew of Garry, Henk and Brian.
 
 
 
Bill and Doug enjoy post ops tales.
 
 
I share a tale with Chris.
 
 
Fred with Bill and Gilbert.
What a great way to spend a summer morning!
Thanks to Malcolm and Bernie for many of the photos in this posting.
As always, thanks to Fred for hosting!
 
Have a great week!
Mike Hamer, Ottawa, Ontario, Canada

No comments:

Post a Comment