Tuesday, November 3, 2020

Train Running and Railfanning

 Train Running and Railfanning

We continue with our series of video montages from some recent train running days in the great outdoors.  But...before we showcase more images from this summer, let's take a look back well over a decade ago at some more pictures of the railroad in a different time as I relate a lovely e-mail Barry sent around to the group.


  These are Barry's words...Hi all,  I believe it was July 2006 when a friend of Doug Hayes suggested I see an amazing garden railroad in Nepean.  When I phoned, Fred said that I should meet him at "Chances Are" for breakfast first.  I arrived first, and was quite amazed to soon be sitting at a very large table with about two dozen or more people and when I asked the guy beside me "if he was around here" (meaning east end or west end Ottawa) and he answered "St. Louis!"  You all know who that was.


When I arrived at Fred's soon after, I was stunned at first by what I saw.   Fred handed me a clipboard, radio, and transmitter, and said, "You can be stationmaster at Firgrove Yard."  I threw my hands up by my face and said, "Oh, no, I am here to watch!"  Fred said, "Nonsense," and handed the stuff over.


That changed my life.  I learned through the day that it was, "The American Invasion."  I can remember two things:  The first being the time when Jan's "presidential train" was heading out of Nelson Yard towards Spruce, and around that big curve was coming a live steam powered train, with someone hollering, "someone has hijacked my frequency!"  The little train frantically tried to back up, but the rogue train did stop about two feet away from a nose to nose collision.  The second thing I recalI was the feast that evening. Wow!!


I have made so many forever friends and was inspired to build my own operating railroad.  I am forever thankful for Fred who would not take "No" for an answer that day.
Barry

PS: The steady growth of the railroad, somewhat propelled by the falling tree, has been amazing!


Thank you, Barry, for the lovely note to the gang!  Barry is seated on the left chatting with Marcel as his lovely wife, Bonnie, helps prepare lunch up above on one of our visits to his garden railroad.  Indeed, the inspiration for Barry's amazing layout in Belleville comes from his many memories with all of the gang back here in Ottawa.

Here is another great image from the "wayback" years.  Check out all of that power in the yard at Craig Leigh sitting on the engine shed tracks.


Now, back to the present day!  Pat brought out his steam locomotive for a run a few weeks back.


While she is still unlettered...


...and un-numbered, she's is a glorious sight to see!


Her train has conquered the curve at Lilly and has made it onto the Fred Mills Trestle.


We have managed to capture this on video footage.


Later, we spot Marcel's CN E-unit and snap a shot of this gem from the starboard side where the lettering is in English.


I'd be riding in the dome car if I were to be a passenger on this train.


Or, perhaps...the Park Car!


Let's watch the action from beside the bridge!


Meanwhile, Pat has arrived Peter's Pond.


He has headed directly onto the team track siding.


His arrival in the Pond has been caught on film as well.


With an old-style passenger consist holding the siding in Spruce...


...a modern version counterpart breezes past...


...on the main.

Let's have a glance at that, shall we!


Our passenger train makes a left turn near Ironwood Brick...


...with its sights set on St. Helens.


The silver helps to brighten the morning for us.


Travelling on by!


Marcel arrives Craig Leigh...


...where he comes to a stop.


We
follow his progress.


Our passenger run wyes itself as an Ontario Northland train passes on the main at Northland.


A splash of colour for sure.


These both trains delight us...


...as they are both on the move simultaneously.


Looking good.


We get a glimpse...


...of the headend power on both trains.


Let's check it out on video!


Mark begins backing his train along one leg of the wye...


...and steering it into the far track of the Northland Ore Dock.


Olie is attached at the hip...or the back!


That ON unit sure cheers us up!


Nicely done, Mark.


We investigate the video footage.


Mark decides to make a final run across the line.


So, he begins to accelerate out from the dock...


...and on to the wye once again.


Off he goes...


...with a great looking consist in the mix.


The video footage looks great!


Mark headed over to Fred's last Friday...here is his story. 
I had a lovely visit with Fred yesterday, and although it was raining, I put my CP SD70 on the rails at Northland, just a teensy bit for a preview of how she might run on a day when the weather is more cooperative.


Maybe she came over on a ferry to the docks… who knows. I love the middle picture with the headlights full on and alternating ditch lights. It was pretty dark by then so I am surprised the photos came out at all.


I know she is too big for Fred’s tastes and does not fit with the operating philosophy of the IPP&W, but hopefully Fred will still permit me the pleasure of running her end-to-end with a nice long consist of cars before the snow truly sets in. LOL! :-)


Pat sent along these two pics from a Saturday morning a few weeks ago.  That's Lawrence, me and Mark checking out the three spans at Brennan Gap.


The colours have taken on a yellow hue as the lillies change with the seasons.


Let's head back to the Invasion of 2005.  We spot Bruce checking out the tail-end car on the crack passenger train arriving Glen Hammond.


The blockhouse is meant to protect the railroad from "invaders" but not our dear friends invading us from the States to run trains...they are most welcome.


Ralph Yard in Firgrove appears different today, but it sure is fun checking in on it in the "yesteryear".


A cool looking facility in the Glen!


Hanging out around the table awaiting lunch fifteen years ago.


Friends from far and near and they are always dear to our hearts!  I spot our able dispatcher, Doug, hiding in the background.


A cool looking specimen.


Let's have a second glance at that picture from outside the engine house in Craig Leigh, shall we!


A lovely train arrives the eastern terminus of the railroad.


As the Travelling Willbury's say...we've reached "The End of the Line".


Two beauties.


Our friend's layout south of the border.


Wonderful scenes.


Great modelling!


Lovely gardens!


A local railfan captured this fun image near the junction many year ago.


That's one lovely looking caboose hop in my books!


This video I shared in my previous posting but I added it long after many of you visited the posting...so here it is again.


I've shared pics of these two fellas before.


They are working hard to attain the grade from Mercer Siding...


...up to the junction.


They've made the junction!


Through Bellamy.


Love that tree standing trackside!


Too much fun in this video!


The same lads spotted earlier at the pedestrian crossing.


Successfully through the crossing.


One last video to share!
Thanks for checking in once again.  I love creating the blog entries as much as you enjoy seeing them!
All the best, Mike Hamer, Ottawa, Ontario, Canada

2 comments:

  1. Sure is, John! It would be fun trying one out in real-life! I bet our arms would be aching in no time...but we'd build up the stamina over time! Cheers, Mike

    ReplyDelete