Saturday, July 25, 2020

July 25th Train Running - Operations At Spruce

July 25th Train Running Session
Spruce Comes Alive


Five Trains made it out Saturday morning.
This is my D&H GP38 named after the late Ralph Dipple, one of our OVGRS members who is sadly not with us any more.
(Click on the image to enlarge it and click outside the image to shrink it back to the default look of the page.)


Lawrence brought out this beauty of a steamer and hauled a museum railfan's special.


Marcel brought along his wonderful UP diesel and I found the perfect rear end device for him!  (More on that later!)


Paul A. ran his Rio Grande steam locomotive.


Bernie was at the helm of his TH&B Geep which we have seen before this season.


Marcel is off to the races, being first out of Craig Leigh.


Len is here today and it is so nice to see him for the first time this season!


I'm awaiting Marcel's pickup of his van before I head over to the wye.


Paul is found traversing the line with his lovely steam locomotive.


He is skirting Nelson Yard...


...where he comes upon an errant piece of rolling stock in a gorgeous armour yellow colour.  Hmmm...this transfer van lettered for the IPP&W would be a perfect fit behind Marcel's Union Pacific train!


A big smile from Bernie.


My train is ready to hit the high iron, but before I depart Craig Leigh I visit the storage shed and spot a number of cars at Spruce to be switched out.


I think to myself, "Let's check out the new challenges Spruce has to offer!"  Bernie had the very same idea, so I can't wait to reach Spruce on this very special morning.


The Delaware & Hudson GP38 is downgrade out of Craig Leigh.


Highballing through Mount St. Helens.


Bernie and Fred anticipate my arrival.  We remove the lone car sitting on the passing siding.


It will go in front of the silver CP car.


Into Ironwood.


Scenery is slowly developing at Spruce.


Lawrence is the rock bearer on this day.


Lawrence is a landscape artist!


Into Ironwood...


...as the sign tells us.


The industries in Spruce are awaiting my arrival.


A single car is spotted at the trailing spur.


I'll have an audience.


To switch out Spruce, the first plan of attack is to protect the entire length of my train along the length of the passing siding in order to allow other traffic to pass without any delays.


I'm safely tucked in.


I uncouple from my train and receive clearance to use the main as a runaround track.


I've passed the far turnout and throw the switch.


Fred looks on as Paul and I pass like two ships in the night!


I've asked Bernie and Fred to give me a switching puzzle.


First order is to swap the tank cars. 


I set out the triple dome tanker to the industry and lift the green tankcar.


I pull back my train after gaining clearance to occupy the main momentarily.


I've placed my lift along with another boxcar from my train to the siding and have retrieved the silver CP reefer.  I tuck the remainder of my train in on the overflow track.


With the full length of my train tucked into the overflow track I am free to go after the single trailing lift, the black Southern Pacific 40' boxcar.


Gotcha!  Thanks to Len for the assist.


I couple onto the portion of my train I had left on the overflow track and request clearance to use the main for a brief period in order to back my train out of the sidings at Spruce.


Dispatch has informed me of the approach of another train from the west so I will tuck into the passing siding for him to clear along the main.


Here comes the meet.


Paul bypasses Spruce while I await his passage.


I uncouple from my caboose and run around my train with the lone trailing lift attached to the engine.


Almost there...


Closer still...


I've assembled my train with eight cars out from Spruce showing on my train orders and am on my way to Nelson Yard.  What a joy it was to be able to switch out the new town of Spruce.  The recent revamp in this area will help balance the amount of work between crews in Spruce and nearby Ironwood.


Meanwhile...


...down in Peter's Pond, Paul meets Marcel.


Then Paul is "away" with his train where I lensed him at Mercer Siding.


Paul is through the junction.


As for Marcel's gorgeous UP diesel...


...she has found a lovely transfer caboose to adopt!
What a nice end to the story!
Check in with us in the near future for a few more postings from a lovely Saturday morning in July trackside along the rails of the IPP&W and the RP&M railroads!
Have a lovely weekend all, 
Mike Hamer, Ottawa, Ontario, Canada


No comments:

Post a Comment